Monday, January 23, 2006

English as a Foreign Language

Last night (Sunday) I caught a ride with friends to a nearby city called Aix-en-Provence to go to "English Church". The church is pastored by a Californian couple, and caters mostly to English speaking university students in Aix. I realized that I haven't been to an English speaking church service since early September. And it felt just as foreign as it did when I went to my first French church service a year ago. I could hardly adjust to hearing English and not having to fight to understand the message the pastor gave (although he did speak too fast, even if it was in English!). I even met 2 couples that I had gone to language school with! Small world!

I especially appreciated being able to sing worship songs in English. It helped me feel connected again. Until last night, I hadn't realized how foreign church was feeling to me, how I was just getting used to the fact that I didn't fit in or feel like I was getting much out of it. I think I'll try going to the English service once a month or so.

We sang one hymn that was over 500 years old. The acoustics were great in this old old church. It even has a plaque quoting a letter that Martin Luther wrote to the church to encourage the believers when they were being persecuted. How's that for a history lesson?!

After church, we went to a bistro for hot chocolate and visited. One of the guys that was at our table is seeking political assylum in France because his life is at risk if he gets deported back to Lybia. He told us a bit of his faith journey as well, how he came to believe the Bible was true and when he chose to believe that Jesus was God. He hasn't told any of his family back in Lybia yet, knowing that when he does, they will cut all ties with him, and perhaps endanger his life further. Man, I have no idea what that would be like.

Besides that heavy conversation, we did talk about other things, including the weather in Canada and how cold it can get in winter. Once again, I found myself explaining that life does not stop once it gets below -25 C. And, yes, I've seen bears, but not in my front yard.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 a.m., Blogger Kay said...

I've started reading your blog and come back every few days. I'm rather surprised, actually, about church life in France because I was under the impression that religion was something born into and not believed. Keep writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home