Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas Highlights

Christmas concert at church!
Christmas lunch, including haggis!





Christmas didn't really feel like christmas this year. Partly because there was no snow and partly because I didn't get to see any of my family. This was my first year to be away from Canada and family for Christmas. It was a hard one, went through a lot of homesickness. But on the upshot, I did have some highlights...I'll share some with you here.
--painting Santons with a friend (Santons are clay figurines made in southern France)
--a Skype call with my parents, my niece, brother and his girlfriend (apparently there isn't any snow in SK either, so I don't feel so bad about missing the snow here)
--Christmas service at church, we shared communion with each other and prayed together since there were only a few of us
--Week before Christmas church service, including a Christmas pageant by the youth and kids of the church.
--HUGE Christmas supper with friends. Most memorable of all, we were served haggis with our turkey and brussel sprouts. For all of you non-Scotts, haggis is steamed oatmeal, sheep heart, lungs and liver with spices, all cooked in a sheep's stomach. Our version came from a can, but it was still authentic enough. What did it taste like? Lots of black pepper, and a rich meaty flavour, definetly could taste the liver. I won't go out and buy myself a can, but I would try it again if someone offered it to me.
--A few interesting games of Mafia with various families nearby.
--Picking up a good friend at the airport. Poor girl, her flight was late, and they lost one of her bags. Argh!
--Another huge meal on Boxing Day with family. Complete with cranberry sauce (no haggis this time!)
--Staying up late to catch up with my friend, even though she had a cold and was super tired.
--Going shopping at the Christmas markets and seeing Chronicles of Narnia. (GO see this movie!)
May you soak up the last remaining highlights of Christmas as we prepare for our New Year's celebrations!
Boxing Day lunch with friends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home