Saturday, January 07, 2006

On the Bright Side

As a contrast from my last post about homesickness, I wanted to write about some positive things that I appreciate about France and Marseille. Aside from being homesick, there are many bright spots along the way and many things that I will miss about France when it is time to pack up and move on. In little more than 6 months now. Man, where does the time go?

Anyways, here's a list, in no specific order, of things that I love about where I'm living now:
*the food (of course!). I could ramble on and on, listing specific things I love from French chocolate truffles to all the types of cheese. I will especially miss a special brand of licorice/mint tea, mango yogourt and fresh sea food.
*the parks and "green spaces" scattered around the city.
*the smell of sea air, depending on which way the wind is blowing.
*the museums, art galleries and cultural spaces around the city, here's hoping I can get out more and explore them all!
*movies! There are lots of European and foreign films showing.
*French music. I'm starting to get to know some of the more popular artists and their "tubes" or "hits".
*Markets, both fresh produce markets and artisinal markets. During Christmas I bought a silk scarf, hand-painted just outside of Marseille. And this Thursday, I bought some homemade rye bread at a produce market near home.
*French t.v. I especially get a kick out of watching my favourite English shows (CSI, Alias, etc) in French. And of course, they've translated all the popular movies like Mission Impossible, Harry Potter, etc. I also really like their newscasts, they really seem to be indepth and take a worldview on news, not just staying locally. They also do interesting documentaries, like the history of King Louis IX, or the Egyptian pyramids.
*the art of conversation. The French know how to talk, to converse, to share, to discuss. It's a bit overwhelming at first but I mostly sit back and take in the conversation, until they ask my opinion...at which point I hope I have something semi-intelligent to add.
*fashion, beauty, taking time for yourself. I don't think I've ever worn more jewelry or make-up anywhere else but here! I'm having fun, feeling girly, pretty and feminine.
*the relativley mild winters, the sunshine, and the bluest blue sky I've seen, even more so than the open sky of Saskatchewan.
*my friends at church, the office, and my neighbours. I've met some amazing people here!
*stopping in to visit the old Catholic church on my way home. It's a quiet place to think and pray, apart from my busy day. I especially like the stained glass windows and how they glow as the sunsets behind them.
*my walks through the park, to and from the office.

Well, that was a good exercise in positive thinking. Definitely helped my homesickness/blue feeling. I should do this more often!

1 Comments:

At 4:54 a.m., Blogger Faithful Joy said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you! I know it is rough. May the Lord fill you will His comfort and peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home